If you or someone you care about has recently been hurt in a truck accident, you may be wondering whether you can file a claim.
Under state law, if your accident was caused by someone else’s negligence, you can likely recover compensation for the losses you have experienced. That said, getting compensation is often an uphill battle, and it is in your best interest to contact an experienced truck accident attorney in St. Louis, as soon as possible.
What is Negligence?
Negligence occurs when a person fails to use the degree of care that would ordinarily be used by a reasonable person in the same circumstances.
In plain English, negligence happens when someone is more careless than we expect people to be. In addition, breaking laws designed to keep people safe is often negligent as a matter of law – in other words, regardless of anything else, the fact that they broke the law means they were negligent.
Some common examples of negligence that leads to serious truck accidents include:
- Distracted driving
- Poor truck maintenance
- Inadequate driver training
- Hiring drivers with poor safety records
- Failing to adjust driving to the weather conditions
- Driving while intoxicated by drugs or alcohol
These are just a few examples of negligence that can lead to serious crashes. Importantly, negligence can be hard to recognize without legal training, so anyone hurt in an accident should speak to a lawyer as soon as possible.
Failing to discuss your case with an attorney could mean leaving thousands of dollars or more on the table.
Protecting Your Rights after a Truck Accident in St. Louis
Unfortunately, the reality is that truckers, trucking companies, and their insurers want to do everything they can to avoid liability – even when they cause accidents. For this reason, there are certain steps that you should take after a crash to ensure that you have the best possible chances of recovering compensation.
The most important of these steps include the following:
- Seek medical attention as soon as you can. Seeing a doctor will ensure your injuries are treated and you have documentation describing their severity.
- Do not accept a settlement offer from anyone. First offers are usually far below the actual value of victims’ cases.
- Stay off social media. Importantly, what you post on social media sites like Facebook or Instagram could later hurt your case.
- Call a lawyer as soon as you can. Once you have a lawyer, the insurance company can only talk to your attorney. This will keep you from saying or doing anything that may hurt your case.
Schedule a Free Case Evaluation with a St. Louis Truck Accident Lawyer Today
If you have suffered injuries in a commercial trucking accident, it is in your best interest to speak to a truck or car accident attorney as soon as possible.
At the Wilbers Law Firm, we focus on representing people who have been injured in serious accidents and getting them the compensation they deserve.
To schedule a free consultation with a truck accident attorney in St. Louis, call our office today or contact us online.